Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 6


Time for New Year Resolutions and thoughts about what I want to change my life habits to be.
This website helped with priorities.

A mantra is a sound, syllable or group of words which, when recited, are regarded as capable of producing spiritual transformation (or so says Wiki). Actually, mantra is a word common in the eastern world and is itself made up of two words: man meaning "mind," and tra meaning "instrument." So, a mantra is "an instrument of the mind."




In eastern religions, and to a lesser degree in the mystical traditions of Christianity, meditators use mantras to center themselves and so bring health and wholeness to the inner self (or, greater unity between the mind, body and spirit). Benedictine monks regularly use scripture in this fashion. For example, they might recite in meditation over and over again the words, "The Lord is my shepherd" (from the 23rd Psalm).



In my own experience, I have made it an every-morning practice to meditate and recite the following mantras. This is the first time, however, I've actually written them down. This was itself a wonderful discipline.



In many respects, a New Year's Resolution is a kind of mantra. But, like mantras, resolutions must be practiced daily if you're serious about them becoming your way of living. Which is why, my first mantra is...

See tomorrow's posting for the first mantra.

I've been thinking alot about Ted Williams. I think it is wonderful that a reporter stopped on the side of the road and listened to his story which has propelled him into the media spotlight as their new darling. I worry that all these people wanting to help him will treat him as a commodity rather than a person. I hope he enjoys his 15 minutes of fame while it lasts and can settle down to a real life once the media moves on and finds their next victim.


No comments: