Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 10

It seems like I have gotten way behind in posting. So I will try to get caught up.

The 4th Mantra Steve describes closely goes with another resolution I have made. To be Kind and to show kindness to all. Sometimes easier said than done. You do not have to prove you are right each and everytime. Just be open to new thoughts and ideas. It doesn't mean you have to agree, but, it is kinder to agree to disagree and find common ground.

4. I will be kind, even when the impulse is to be right.




In the past, I have found myself in frequent arguments with my spouse or someone at work. It's not the problem today that it used to be, fortunately. And I think it has something to do with the practice of kindness, as well as the practice of meditation. I now realize, for example, when I've been in an argument in the past, it was nothing more than the ego in me feeling under threat and so lashing out or defending its illusory position or point of view. None of this is necessary and none of this is helpful. So, as someone once framed it, "If you have a choice of being right or being kind, practice choosing kind."






No comments: